Thursday, July 1, 2010

Making Your Mark!

I went to church on Sunday, yeah I know its been a long time. I love my church down here..my home church no matter where I lay my head will always be the church I grew up in Osceola United Methodist Church in Osceola, In but down here I attend the Vineyard Community Church in Greenwood, IN. When I lived on the west side I went to Chapel Rock Church but now its too far to go but I will say that that church and the people is what helped me go through my divorce. They offered a class called divorce care which honestly and truly gave me some awesome closure and I believe allowed me to move on and meet Rey. The people I met there touched my heart. I believe God puts people in every step of your life to love you and be there for you at that moment. Most of them fade away into the distance as you move on into another part of your life but then there are a select few and some people only have 1 or 2 that are your friends for life. I can name so many people that have helped me along this journey but there are 3 that stick out most in my mind and those are my best friends, my sisters, they have my back no matter what and I know without a doubt that I have theirs no matter how bad things get. Gena, Janie, and Melissa are my forever friends.

Okay I am rambling, I get sidetracked sometimes anyways oh ye

ah what was I talking about ..oh yeah church Sunday and the message...

Its based on the book of Joshua, actually the story of Rahab. Rahab was a prostitute. Its funny though because even though Rahab was a prostitute God still used her. Makes you think doesnt it how awesome it is that God can use ANYONE to achieve His purpose?

So the question Pastor asked that needs to start this all off is....What kind of mark are you leaving? Rahab knew that her city was about to be destroyed and she wanted a way to save her family, God gave her the way.

Joshua 6:23--" The men who had been spies went in and brought out Rahab, her father, mother, brothers and all the other relatives who were with her. They moved her whole family to a safe place near the camp of Israel."

1. Focus your DEVOTION.
Rahab realized her devotion was in the wrong place.
Joshua 2:9-11 says "We are all afraid of you. Everyone is living in this land in terror. For we have heard how Yahweh made a dry path for you through the red sea when you left Egypt. And we know what you did to Sihon and Og the 2 Amorite Kings east of the Jordan River, whose people you completely destroyed. No wonder our hearts have melted in fear! No one has the courage to fight after hearing such things. For Yahweh your God is the supreme God of the heavens above and the Earth below."

2. Smell the FIRE.
Rahab didnt wait for the flames, she smelled what was coming and took ACTION! She recognized her problem and it took it seriously, no sugar coating about it!
Joshua 2:12 says "Now swear to me by Yahweh that you will be kind to me and my family since I have helped you. Give me some guarantee that when Jericho is conquered, you will let me live, along with my father and mother, my brothers and sisters, and all their families."

3. Step into ACTION!
Rahab's concern motivated her to act!
"I accept your terms," she replied. And she sent them on their way leaving the scarlet rope dangling from the window.

What ways might I need to refocus the devotion in my life?

-Live my life consumed by Christ

-Live my life through God, NOT live for myself

-Can you smell any fires in your life?

-Do you have any "Holy Discontent?"

-How might I need to step into action with the impending fires in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment